Welcome to 120 McAllister Avenue
LOCATED IN THE HEART OF THE MOST SOUGHT-AFTER NEIGHBORHOOD IN MARIN | KENTFIELD GARDENS
This architecturally significant, turn-of-the-century Hamptons-style estate with European elegance rests in the center of Marin County’s highly sought-after Kentfield Gardens neighborhood. The exquisite residence with unparalleled comfortable sophistication offers luxury and tranquil living with the finest design, materials and craftsmanship. Thoughtfully rebuilt by the owner | designer in collaboration with architect Jeff Kroot, French roots supplied vision to create the dramatic 3-story atrium as the heart of the home.
Situated behind a double gated entry with a pull-through u-shaped driveway, this elegant home offers exceptional curb appeal with exquisite landscaping, park-like grounds and a picturesque setting. Featured in numerous Pottery Barn catalogues, the grand 5 bedroom, 4.5 bathroom main residence opens into a gracious foyer that anchors the home’s light-filled and spacious living quarters. A magnificent 3-story French 19th century 20-light chandelier delicately drops through the open staircase that seamlessly connects the home’s three living levels.
5 BEDS | 4.5 BATHS | 4,547 SQFT
The traditional, but open main-level floorplan features a gorgeous chef’s kitchen, a light-filled family room, an elegant formal living room, a formal dining room, a full guest suite and a powder room – all built around the central atrium.
- The chef’s kitchen is equipped with a Thermador Professional 6-burner range, Thermador built-in microwave/convection oven/warming drawer, Viking dual tower refrigerator/freezer and is stylishly outfitted with classic white shaker and glass-paneled cabinetry, striking honed Absolute Black Granite countertops and a large Calacatta Revenna Quartz island. The kitchen is ideally located to take in the stunning views of the expansive backyard and the large pool and spa. The ideal indoor-outdoor lifestyle is enjoyed with direct access from the kitchen to the back Connecticut Bluestone outdoor dining terrace which also serves as the gateway to the multiple outdoor spaces.
- Adjacent to the kitchen is a bright and comfortable family room with imported custom French window shades, gold-accented pendant lights and walls of windows framing direct views of Mt. Tamalpais.
- The sophisticated formal living room occupies the front left corner of the main level and is anchored by two focal points | the original wood-burning fireplace and the window-framed views of Mt. Tamalpais with an inviting custom-upholstered window seat to take in the vista. Finished with beautiful box-beamed ceilings, high wainscoting and custom built-in bookshelves flanking the fireplace, the living room is the perfect venue for formal and informal gatherings.
- Perfectly sited down a charming hallway from the kitchen is the elegant formal dining room. With beautiful views of the lushly landscaped, large side yard, this room is designed to fit a large dining table to elegantly wine + dine with family and friends.
- Guests will be pampered and feel like they are on vacation when staying in the main level guest suite. With a wall of windows facing the amazing backyard and a sliding French door leading to the back patio, this room is light and bright and enjoys its own spa-like bath. Finished with marble and Rohl fixtures, this bath is sure to please.
Level No. 2
The first flight of the open atrium staircase leads to the bedroom level featuring the master suite, three large bedrooms and two full bathrooms, one of which is en-suite and a laundry room. The four bedrooms on this level are perfectly laid out in each of the four corners of the home and were designed to encompass the center atrium to allow for optimum window placement and light.
- The spacious master suite, with luxury finishes and high ceilings, radiates charm at every turn with period wall detailing, crown molding, custom drapery and is completed with a beautiful sunroom overlooking the meticulous manicured grounds of the estate. The luxury hotel-like master bath is sure to spoil the owner with Waterworks pedestal sinks, Rohl fixtures, a large walk-in shower with Carrara marble slab walls and a charming freestanding claw foot tub. The master suite also features a large walk-in closet with built-ins.
- Graced with straight-on views of Mt. Tamalpais and ample closet space, the large en-suite bedroom on this level receives beautiful natural light with its southwestern exposure. The attached bath features a Waterworks pedestal sink, Rohl fixtures and limestone tile.
- The two bedrooms on the other side of the atrium are also unique in their own respect. The front corner bedroom enjoys the beautiful view of Mt. Tamalpais from the front window and a great vista of the oversized resort like pool and spa from the side window. With views of the backyard and the pool and spa, the back corner bedroom receives great natural light and is spacious enough for room sharing. These two bedrooms are separated by a clean and crisp full bath featuring limestone floors, a Carrara marble top vanity and Rohl fixtures.
Level No. 3
The second flight of the open atrium staircase leads to the open top level of the home. This large multi-purpose space is blanketed by pitched ceilings and large skylights and features open dormered spaces and ample storage. With views down the atrium to the main level, the upper floor is perfect for a media room, play room, home office, home gym and so much more.
The East Coast design of the home offers a desirable element not found in most homes in Northern California – a full basement. This large area spans the footprint of the home and offers ceiling heights suitable for most to walk around comfortably to access all of the amazing storage spaces. It features an original concrete trough sink and is anchored by a professionally-designed wine cellar.
THE WINE CELLAR
Not a single detail was overlooked in the professionally-designed wine cellar. The owner works in the wine industry and knows what it takes to create the perfect environment in which wine can properly age and be stored. In collaboration with Wine Enthusiast Magazine’s wine cellar design division, the owner wanted to create a non-temperature controlled natural environment. The 1,200+- bottle cellar has a year-round temperature varying from approximately 55-65 degrees Fahrenheit. The varying temperature within that range is better for the wine compared to a refrigerated wine cellar set at a static temperature. Air vents on the upper parts of the northern and southern walls of the cellar allow for warmer air to escape and for airflow to provide optimum humidity which is hard to achieve when using a cooling unit. The ceiling is lined with sheet metal and insulation to keep the internal air at the appropriate temperatures. Another detail found in this wine cellar is the original concrete floor from 1906. The imperfections and the porous nature of the older concrete assist in the optimum humidity levels.
The nearly half acre grounds are nothing short of spectacular. The magazine-worthy outdoor spaces were meticulously designed by renowned landscape architect Valerie Remitz and offer mature plants and trees, ultimate privacy and beautiful natural light. An organic mixture of materials varying from Connecticut Bluestone, grass and concrete blend seamlessly to create your own natural outdoor park-like paradise. A sprawling level lawn is the heart of the backyard and connects the oversized saltwater pool to the fire pit lounge area adjacent to the guest home. The two main lounging areas of the yard | the pool and the gas fire pit areas | enjoy straight-on views of Mt. Tamalpais. The gorgeous, private pool enjoys sun, privacy, a large in-ground attached spa and two automatic safety covers. A beautiful side yard on the north side of the home has a limestone fountain, beautiful Maple trees, hydrangeas, gardenias, lavender, iceberg roses and a tranquil hammock. The grounds come to life at nighttime with professionally designed outdoor lighting making evening entertaining a show-stopping experience. The owner|designer collaborated with Valerie Remitz to create a space that captures the idea of an eternal summer and the essence of the perfect pool party for friends and family to create lifelong memories.
The impeccably landscaped front of the property features a central mature olive tree, manicured plantings, an oversized 2-car detached garage and a double gated entry with a pull-through u-shaped driveway laid with crushed Basalt rock for a true East Coast feel. To the left of the main home is a pergola carport with an attached bike|workbench house completed with multiple bike hooks for the outdoor exercise enthusiast.
The Guest House
1 BEDS | 1 BATH | 510 SQFT
Tucked in the lush back corner of the lot sits an exquisite 1 bedroom, 1 full bathroom guest house (a legal second unit that can be rented) with a full kitchen and a family room. Sited perfectly next to a beautiful olive tree and the gas fire-pit, the guest house has pampering radiant heat underneath Connecticut Bluestone floors providing warm-to-the-touch comfort. The Bluestone floors carry in from the outside for a true indoor-outdoor feel. The open kitchen features a Rohl Shaws Original farmhouse sink, a Rohl faucet, a water filtration system, a 4-burner Viking range, a built-in Miele espresso machine, shaker and glass-paneled cabinetry, a Miele dishwasher, a U-Line refrigerator, French limestone countertop on the island, a black honed granite countertop on the wall side and Ann Sacks backsplash. The spa-like full bathroom is equipped with a custom vanity with a French limestone countertop, Ann Sacks tile and stonework, a steam shower with a rain head showerhead and a river rock shower floor. The family room features a built-in desk with a honed granite countertop and built-in storage. Urban Electric lanterns hang from a vaulted, bead board ceiling which adds a charming detail to this great space. Two sets of Marvin French doors with Bouvet hardware lead to the front loggia looking out over the stunning grounds of the backyard.
120 McAllister is located in the heart of the most sought-after neighborhood in Marin | Kentfield Gardens. While the property enjoys everything one would expect in a private, gated estate, the family-friendly neighborhood offers the tight-knit community you cannot find in other areas of Kentfield and surrounding towns. Flanked by Bacich Elementary on one side of the neighborhood and Kent Middle on the other side of the neighborhood, kids can walk to and from school on sidewalks and without getting on a main road. From the yearly little league parade, school parades, the Marin Halloween mecca all on McAllister Avenue and the famous “Flamingo Friday” neighborhood potlucks every Friday night from Spring to Fall, Kentfield Gardens is the true definition of community.
Kentfield Gardens is ideally located in the heart of the Ross Valley and is within close proximity to many amenities, sure to satisfy the discriminating buyer looking for convenience. In addition to being close to the award-winning Kentfield Schools, 120 McAllister enjoys easy access to Hal Brown (“Creekside”) Park, the Corte Madera Creek Bike Path, public transportation (Golden Gate Transit #24 to the San Francisco Financial District and the free shuttle to the Golden Gate Ferry to the Port of San Francisco), Woodlands Market and Café, Half Day Café, Rustic Bakery, the soon-to-open Kent Tavern restaurant (formerly Ambrosia), world-class hiking|biking trails, The Bay Club Ross Valley Swim and Tennis club and so much more. There is truly no better place to call home.
- 6 bedrooms | 5.5 baths
- 1 bedroom | 1 bathroom guest house with kitchen and family room
- Sunny and private nearly half acre lot
- Grand foyer with 3-story central atrium
- Dramatic 3-story French 19th century 20-light chandelier
- Formal living room with box-beamed ceilings and wood-burning fireplace
- Family room off of kitchen
- Chef’s kitchen with top-of-the-line professional appliances
- Full-footprint basement with ceilings heights for most to walk around comfortably
- Built-in indoor and outdoor speakers
- High-end finishes in all bathrooms
- Professionally designed 1,200+ bottle wine cellar with thoughtful climate details
- Formal dining room
- Main level guest suite with a sliding French door leading to backyard
- 4 bedrooms together on second level including the master suite
- Multi-purpose upper level with high ceilings and skylights
- Beautiful cherry hardwood floors
- Original wood detailing
- Charming wainscoting and crown molding
- Estate grounds with double gated entry with a pull-through u-shaped driveway
- Dramatic nighttime landscape lighting
- Oversized saltwater pool with attached spa and views of Mt. Tamalpais
- Large central level lawn
- Entertaining-friendly gas fire pit lounge area with olive tree and views of Mt. Tamalpais
- Tranquil side yard with a limestone fountain, maple trees and hammock
- Mature and lush landscaping
- Beautiful Connecticut Bluestone and concrete hardscaping
- Custom and imported window coverings
- Located in the heart of highly sought-after Kentfield Gardens
- Oversized 2-car detached garage
- Easy access to schools, parks, bike paths, shopping, restaurants and public transportation
- Award-winning Kentfield Schools
- Pergola carport with an attached bike, workbench house
- Ample storage throughout